top of page
Vintage Postcards of Bayside, New York
© Bayside Historical Society
This general store opened in 1828 establishing it as the first trading post in Northeastern Queens.
The store was situated in the area known as "The Alley," the present site of the Long Island Expressway and Cross Island Parkway interchange.
The original proprietor, Benjamin Lowerre, a former innkeeper from Flushing, ran the store for eleven years. He subsequently sold it to his son-in-law, William C. Buhrman, on April 30, 1839.
bottom of page