Vintage Postcards of Bayside, New York

Commanding Officer's Quarters, Fort Totten
© Bayside Historical Society

Commanding Officer's Quarters, Fort Totten

This Colonial Revival style building, overlooking the Parade Grounds, was a single family home which served as the Commanding Officer's Quarters until 1995. Constructed in 1909, it is a T-Shaped, 2 1/2 story brick building featuring a slate roof and gabled portico with Tuscan columns that support a massive entablature and pediment.

In 1926 an enclosed porch was constructed on the east side of the facade after a fire severely damaged the interior of the home.

The building to the left of the Commanding Officer's Quarters was a twin dwelling Captain's Quarters built in 1906.

Both buildings, along with many others, can be seen in historic Fort Totten Park today.

Previous
Next