Vintage Postcards of Bayside, New York
Entrance Gates - Fort Totten
The two granite gate posts marking the entrance to Fort Totten were erected in 1889. By 1904 the wrought-iron fence was installed complimenting the posts' Romanesque Revival style. According to the Fort Totten Historic District Designation Report of 1999 "the Fort at Willet's Point was accessed by a road that extended from Bell Boulevard at the southwest. Subsequently, the main entrance was placed at the west end of Totten Avenue, a continuation of Willets Point Boulevard, after the fort was enlarged with the purchase of 26 acres in 1863."
The gateposts are topped by bronze painted spheres that are rumored to be disarmed harbor mines.