top of page
Vintage Postcards of Bayside, New York
© Bayside Historical Society
Retreat - Fort Totten
The military exercises seen in this postcard are from the Parade Grounds on Fort Totten.
The large building in the distance was built in 1893 as the Artillery Barracks and Mess Hall. The two-story porch was removed in 1941. The smaller building behind the barracks was the hospital annex built in 1914. It was used as an isolation facility with 36 beds.
bottom of page