Vintage Postcards of Bayside, New York
Headquarters, Fort Totten
The Post Headquarters in Fort Totten was built in the Colonial Revival style with neo-Georgian details in 1905 and served to meet the needs of the expanding fort including the installation of the Coast Artillery.
The double-story open porch seen in this postcard has since been bricked in. Today, the building serves as the headquarters for the Army Reserve located on Fort Totten.
The building next to the Headquarters can also be seen today in Fort Totten Park. According to the Fort Totten Historic District Designation Report of 1999, it served as the Enlisted Personnel Quarters and remained in use for this purpose until the late 1960s. It is unoccupied today.